Private Equity, Real Estate and Real Assets
To achieve investment diversification, and in some cases returns less correlated to equity markets, we provide our clients with access to private equity, real estate, natural resources and operating assets, each with well-diversified “best of breed” managers. From time to time we have also looked for strategic opportunities to invest in start-up companies and privately held businesses. This has led us to some special investments that we offer to our clients, which have included:
- The New York Islanders National Hockey League team
- A premier branded sneaker company (Converse), which was subsequently taken public
- The largest annual report design company in the U.S.
- The second largest jet engine and engine parts after-market company in the U.S.
- Numerous real estate properties, including Fortune 500 company-tenanted warehouses and prime New York City, Boston and Washington D.C. properties
These investments are illiquid and may have a higher degree of risk in an attempt to achieve higher returns than public equity investing. While not appropriate for all clients, they represent a means of diversifying a portion of one’s net worth. Our clients have an opportunity to invest in these endeavors where there is mutual agreement that the particular opportunity fits their specific investment strategy and suitability requirements.